Image from Unsplash
Parenting 101: How to Raise Your Child Through Every Age and Stage
While there is no one way to show up as a good parent, some basic ground rules can help you, as a parent, through every stage of your child’s development. Here, the Midcentury Preservation Society shares essential advice to follow for every age and stage.
The early years are a time of significant change and development for your child. Here’s how to provide a loving and nurturing environment during this time:
- Play: Encourage play as much as possible, as this will help your child develop a strong identity and unique sense of self later in life.
- Rules: Wanting independence is a normal and healthy part of development. However, as Motherly notes, setting limits and establishing rules through structure and routine is also essential.
- Nurturing environment: Try to spend as much time as possible with your child, talking, singing, and reading together and creating a space that is comfortable and nurturing.
The middle school years are when your child starts developing into their true self. Here’s how you can support them during this time:
- Safety: Kids of this age are always getting into scraps, so keep them safe by buying quality products for your home.
- Self-care: Show up as the best parent possible by setting essential goals for yourself in your personal life. For example, you can go after your dream career in healthcare when you get your online bachelor’s degree in nursing.
- Encourage learning: Help your child develop good study habits and stay organized through schooling.
Teens go through many changes, both physically and emotionally. Here’s how to lend your support and understanding during this time.
- Communication skills: Help your child develop communication skills to help them better manage studies, relationships, and careers.
- Responsible choices: Every parent needs to preach responsible choices to their kids – check out this guide by Aha! Parenting on how you can do so.
- Coping skills: There will be times when your teenager faces difficulties. It is essential to help them develop coping skills so they can deal with these challenges in a healthy way.
As a parent, you will always be worried about your child. The good news is that once you know what to expect in each stage of their life, you will feel better equipped to support them. Happy parenting!